Friday, July 26, 2013

Kaliga Festival 2k13

I barely hear anything but the pitter-patter of the rain as it intensely dropped sweeping the gritty ground.  It has been raining for days already but I know it won’t be that long until it would bring to a halt. I don’t know why I just know because the 23rd of July is very special for all of us and eventually it did. Heaven looked down and smiled upon us parading the cheerful ambiance of the radiant sun replacing the heavy downpour.

It’s the 54th charter day of our wonderful city, Gingoog and the fascinating Kaliga festival is commemorated to embody the city’s charter anniversary. I smiled at the thought of the last time I witnessed this annual event as memories rushed back like an old roll of film running backwards. I had only watched it three times because the social outcast I am, I feel uncomfortable around the crowd.  Some of my friends who are going invited me so I decided not to mope around for a little change and tagged along with them. We arrived at around 2:20 or something just in time before the proper event started. I flinched looking at the hoard of people everywhere. Trying to calm myself I told my friends to look for a spot where we can see so tussling and  wriggling through the towering crowd off we went. 


(photo courtesy of Sir King Louie)

Fortunate enough we found some place where we can see clearly the contingents who are about to perform. There were six of them from different schools in the city. The program started late and everyone within my perimeter went edgy because of the "wee" hours of waiting and standing. And to make things worse a lady in-front of me who was with her relative with a foreign husband went berserk hurling words like f*ck and stuffs because of the delay. She was speaking English from time to time to those around her. I don't know what she's trying to impose, maybe she wanted to own the spotlight but I know one thing;  that a person who's having a seizure would definitely  not compare to how many times I had rolled my eyes! (I'm not against the idea of speaking English but it was already out of bounds) I should not have let my hopes get too high because the moment the competition started there I was getting sandwiched by those who are around me.  I was standing on my tiptoes, straining my neck, trying my best of luck  wishing to get a good sight of the performance buthe same annoying lady who kept on leaning her back to me wasn't much of a great help. Goodness! am I really that  fat now that I am mistaken for a wall? --"(I'm a hobbit for a post.)

Here are some beautiful captured moments taken by Sir Boy
beautiful ladies performing their hearts out! :)


The one who topped this year's Kaliga Festival is the Pundasan National High school. Congratulations!




photo credits to Sir Hernan Perez for these AMAZING shots during the street dancing



gorgeous lady on their float wearing her butterfly costume

another batch of exceptional shots from Sir King Louie

an incredible number of people waiting for the street dancing competition!

beautiful ladies!now this is like a prequel for me. Each contenders has their representative of 4 different animals (frog,monkey,shrimp and butterfly) that will show-off first before the real competition begins.





street dancing and floats :)

It has been another blessed year for our beloved city. The Higaonon tribe who is the key for this celebration is gradually coming out from the cocoon of discrimination, scorn and injustice. Banat Gingoog,  Ato kini! Onwards to progress!  
We call it a day with a smile.
thank you for my beautiful cousin Ann for the photo :)




Have you experienced Kaliga Festival? or any festival in particular? feel free to share it with us in the comment box below :)

p.s
this un-proofread post is long overdue L should’ve posted after the event but I have a pile of school stuffs to do and the nexy day I was riled at how my classmates made fun of my friend that I can’t squeeze some words out of my brain :/

4 comments:

  1. hi anon :) lovely they are! they're taken by our city's talented photographers. thank you for dropping by, I hope you enjoyed it :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got some kind of humor don't you? Your city must be beautiful! I enjoyed reading it and looking at the photos. very nice Mace! keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I really suck at joking xD our city is beautiful, I hope you can visit anytime soon. I am glad that you enjoyed it. And thank you very much Sophie :)

    ReplyDelete

Pour your thoughts out and take it away! :)